Abbazia di Viboldone
Tel: 02 9841.203
The church is usually open for prayers.
Partially accessible to the disabled
Founded by the Humiliati order in 1176 it is currently inhabited by a community of Benedictine monks, dedicated to the restoration of codexes and ancient books. The church is dedicated to Saint Peter, although it is in good condition, it is the only authentic remnant of the ancient complex which was partially rebuilt after the Second World War by Luigi Caccia Dominioni. Once we have crossed the threshold of the wooden doorway which characterises the brick facade with Campionese style marble décor, the interior, which is divided up into three naves articulated by large circular clay pillars, is surprising due to the preciousness and beauty of the frescoes that upholster it almost entirely, they are believed to be among the most important and the most beautiful created in northern Italy in 1300 and with an evident Giottoesque influence.